Health and Wellness Supports for Students and Families

BCS offers many services and supports to students with the help of our school counselors, psychologist, social workers, and other specialists. In the event of an urgent need at home or in the community, the information and resources below may provide additional help to students and families to improve their health and wellness.

Urgent Needs:
Crisis Lifeline: 988 (you can call or text)
For Deaf & Hard of Hearing use your preferred relay service or dial 711 then 988; Formerly known as the
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides free and confidential emotional support to people in suicidal
crisis or emotional distress 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, across the United States. Call or text 988.

RHA Mobile Crisis: 1-888-573-1006
Provides on-site, intensive services to individuals experiencing a crisis due to mental health needs, developmental disabilities and/or addiction. Insurance is not required to us Mobile Crisis and there are no our of pocket costs.

Vaya Health: Provides services and support related to mental health, substance use disorder and intellectual/developmental disabilities.

Say Something: 1-844-5-SayNow
This is an anonymous and secure reporting system that can be used to report concerns of someone's intent to harm themselves or others. Call, download the app, or submit a tip on the Anonymous Reporting System.

Local Community Resources:
RHA Same Day Access Walk In Clinic- 356 Biltmore Ave, Asheville, located on the second floor, M-F 8am-5pm:
The goal is to provide community members a welcoming place where they can walk in anytime without an appointment and talk with a staff member about your current mental health and/or substance use situation and needs.

Family Preservation Services Asheville- Crisis Walk In Center: 1316 D Patton Avenue- 828-225-3100 People- adults and children- in crisis and need of services may walk into FPS Asheville offices between the hours of 9am-3pm and receive same-day services.

WNCCHS (for non -insured or under-insured): Minnie Jones Health Center, 257 Biltmore Avenue, Asheville, North Carolina 28801, walk-in Mon through Fri 8:30-4pm.

211- Free and confidential information on health and human services within our community; Find mental health and substance use support for yourself or someone else:

Family Justice Center- 35 Woodfin St, Asheville, 828-250-6900; The Family Justice Center is a safe place where victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and elder abuse can come for help.

Other ways to find local resources for care and support:

Online and Telephone Resources

The Trevor Project: We're here for you Now/ The Trevor Project- Crisis Intervention Services for LGBTQ ages 13-24 by calling 1-866-488-7386 or texting "Trevor" to 1-202-304-1200.

Hope4NC- Free and confidential emotional support, counseling referrals, and community resources. Call or text "hope" to 1 (855) 587-3463.

SAMHSA- The substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration is the agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that leads public health efforts to advance the behavioral health of the nation.

Resources for Teachers and Parents:

How to Talk with your children about difficult news- American Psychological Association provides information that helps adults learn how to guide conversations with children about difficult issues.

Helping teens with a traumatic loss- This National Child Traumatic Stress Network document offers ways to recognize and help your teen with traumatic grief. Each teen grieves in unique ways. After a sudden or violent death some teens may develop traumatic grief responses and have difficulty coping.

SAMHSA How to Talk to Children About Mental Health: For Parents and Caregivers- As a parent or caregiver, you want the best for your children or other dependents. You may be concerned or have questions about certain behaviors they exhibit and how to ensure they get help.

SAMHSA How to Talk to Children About Mental Health: For Educators- Educators are often the first to notice mental health problems in children and young adults. This document offers some ways you can help your students and their families.