Check out the BCS Board Briefing for August 4, 2022. This is a summary of board action taken tonight. You may view the meeting on the BCS Communications YouTube channel at: YouTube.com/BuncombeSchools
#BCSGrads I want to begin by congratulating the 53 Buncombe County Schools students who participated in summer graduation. Erwin High School hosted the ceremony Wednesday night and the graduates represented all nine of our high school programs across the district.
Now Hiring Our HR Department held a job fair earlier this week. I understand that the number of job seekers attending doubled from last year’s event. We still are advertising openings in bus transportation, custodial maintenance, child nutrition, and instructional assistants. Application for employment can be processed on our district website at buncombeschools.org/careers.
Welcoming Staff August 16 through 19 our new beginning teachers and certified staff will be participating in orientation programs for the upcoming 2022-2023 school year. Beginning August 22 and running through the 26, we will be providing professional development and school-based orientation for all of our teachers and certified support staff.
Back to School And believe it or not, Monday, August 29 is the first day for students in Buncombe County.
STEAM 2022 In closing, a shout out to our Technology Department as they will be hosting next Thursday, the fifth annual STEAM conference, which presents best practices for using instructional technology in our classrooms. The conference will offer more than 50 presenters and will cover the scope of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics.
· North Buncombe Middle School Softball Field Project: Authorization to Award Contract
· Appointment to the School Capital Fund Commission
· Minutes: June 30, 2022 – Special Called Meeting Open Session
· Personnel Report
· Advisory Council Members for 2022-2023
· Haw Creek Elementary School Request to Change Banking Institution
· Sole Source Procurement Request: Edmentum, Incorporated
· Sole Source Procurement Request: NWEA MAP
· Sole Source Procurement Request: Voyager Sopris
· Sole Source Procurement Request: Zoom Video Communication, Incorporated
· Sole Source Procurement Request Increase: Amplify Education Inc.
· POLICIES FOR FIRST READING
Policy 1720/4030/7235 Title IX Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Sex
Policy 1740/4010 Student or Parent Grievance Procedure
Policy 1742/5060 Responding to Complaints
Policy 4001 Equal Opportunity
Policy 4240/7312 Child Abuse and Related Threats to Child Safety
Policy 4400R Attendance Procedures
Policy 4700 Student Records
Policy 5240 Advertising in Schools
Policy 7510 Leave
ANNOUNCEMENTS / FUTURE MEETINGS
The next Board of Education Regular Meeting will be held on September 1, 2022, with Work Session Updates, and Closed Session beginning at 4:00 p.m. in the Executive Conference Room and the Open Session beginning at 5:30 p.m. in the Minitorium at 175 Bingham Road, Asheville, NC 28806.