Student Registration
Only a parent or legal guardian may enroll a student in Buncombe County Schools.
 This is specified by North Carolina law, the Buncombe County School Board, and by internal policy. 

Please click here for further information: Enrollment by Parent or Guardian Only

Registration Procedure for All Students
Please refer to the Registration Checklist for a printable list of registration information: 
Step 1.
Call the school your child will attend and set up an enrollment appointment.

School assignment is based on your home address. If you aren’t sure which school your child will attend, please contact Buncombe County Schools Transportation at 828-232-4240 or click on the link to the left titled "School District Assignment."  For details about Kindergarten Registration dates and age requirements, please click on the link to the left.

Step 2.
There are several basic items you will need to bring to your enrollment appointment:

  • • Photo Identification of parent/legal guardian.
  • • Copy of child’s certified birth certificate.
  • • Proof of guardianship. Can include birth certificate, divorce papers, Social Services paperwork, or paperwork signed by a judge awarding custody. Custody paperwork authorized by a judge or Social Services/foster care placement paperwork is required for all children not living with their natural parent. 
  • • Copy of up-to-date immunization records. If your child is not immunized, you will need to speak with a school nurse. Click here for more information: Immunizations  By law, due within 30 calendar days of enrollment.
  • • Health assessment. For all students new to North Carolina Public schools.  Must be the NC DHHS form obtained from the doctor's office - these are not provided at the school.  By law, due within 30 calendar days of enrollment.
  • • Two proofs of residency. One must be a utility bill (power, water, or gas) and the other must be a mortgage statement, rental/lease agreement, deed, or buyer’s agreement.
  • Here is more information regarding Residence Proof Requirements. Also available Spanish, Russian, and Moldovan.
  • • Withdrawal form. Only for students who last attended a Buncombe County school. This form will be given to the parent/student by the previous school at the time of withdrawal.
  • • Additional Information Needed from Home Schooled Students:
    • Home school registration
    • Attendance record
    • Standardized test scores
    • Record of courses taken and credit awarded.
    • Portfolio of work (course descriptions, sample of work including: exams, hours spent per course curriculum used)

Step 3.
Print and complete the following forms and bring them to your enrollment appointment. If you don’t have access to a printer, copies will be provided for you to complete at the enrollment appointment.  

Click here to print a complete set of registration forms: 

Enrollment Packet - English Updated 5/30/17!
Enrollment Packet - Spanish Updated 5/2/17!
Enrollment Packet - Russian Updated 2/17/17!
Enrollment Packet - Moldovan Updated 2/17/17!

Step 4.
Check the school website for any school specific forms you may need to complete.  If you don’t have access to a printer, copies will be provided for you to complete at the enrollment appointment. 
Buncombe County Schools is in the process of reviewing its website to ensure compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.